Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Cot/crib/cradles/bassinet/cotbed/cosleeper/moses basket.........a separate place for baby to sleep




Its very rare that we see a separate place for baby to sleep in our country. Babies sleep here,there,just anywhere with parents ,grandparents....everywhere in our houses.

Mostly,I have seen babies sleeping(napping)with grandparents during day when the mom is busy and sleep usually with parents at night in their bed. It not even considered unsafe here unlike west. I have slept with my baby too for first few months.but finally bought crib for my baby. I have my reasons.
read WHY I BOUGHT A CRIB FOR MY BABY?
Its good to have a separate place for baby to sleep and take naps .It gives you  and your baby space to sleep comfortably and have wonderful dreams .

you can use any one or two .............cot ,cradle,bassinet,cosleepers,moses basket or may be pram for baby sleep or nap time 
It depends on what u want, how much you want to spend on your comfort and how long u want it to be used. But don't buy too many things.

Sleeping place of my baby for first few month
When my baby was born I got an old pram (just like bassinet) from a cousin which was in good condition. I used it for naps during day.Since it has wheels I could take my baby anywhere I work. This way I can work and be with my baby all day. She used to love it too and spends most of her time in it. It was great to just rock her to sleep in it during day.I used to take her out for a walk in it too(as it was a pram)
Though bassinet is better than pram for sleeping.But pram can be used for both sleeping and taking baby out  .....



Bassinet /cradle cum bassinet/Bassinet on wheels/
A bassinet is simply a bed for baby for first four months that cocoon him.It may comes with wheels ,rocker or cradle too                                          
moses basket
To be really frank even I had never seen moses basket before in any house. But the first time I saw it on baby shop I found it so pretty and cosy .It snuggles baby like a cocoon.awwww.........

Cradle
I always wanted to buy a cradle but didn't. I regret ,it could have given me more sleep and comfort  to my back . Babies love to rock to sleep So whats better than a cradle. Babies love motion .Even a simple cloth cradle could do wonders at night by just rocking it while lying in your bed.Alas! I was not that fortunate.

Cradles are part of our culture.They could be made of wood,plastic,any metal ,silver gold......... or they can be made cheap too using clothes or may be baskets .

CRIBS,COTBED
I have already written so much about these in my oother posts.just  click the heading to read about them

4 comments:

  1. i came across ur blog as a review fr bumchum CD ...and i got instantly thrilled and going through ur blog ..i too am a cloth diapering baby wearing ( almost crazyly into it mama)....i so much support ur decision fr this crib ...i put my daughter on the crib it ws rather a travel cot at 1 yr of age ...and put her into her room ..we were determined nt to commit the same mistake we did for our son ...we trained her to sleep on her own frm age 3mnths and this transition was smooth ..by this year end she will have big girl bed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As experience speaks for itself.......u grow up too as a parent .
    and whatever u have written abt baby wearing and sleep training here is only someone with experience can only tell u .
    sleep training is not an easy thing, ,pls do share how u did it and how difficult or easy was it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. my son was good sleeper fr the day he ws born bt nt my daughter she satrted giving us sleepless night ..( we had decided my mother will go by 3mnths and all maids by teh nxt 3 mnths) ..to top my son ws in nursery jr kg then ...i finaly bought tracy hogg baby whisperer ...this was and still my bible ...i followed EASY method eat,activty ,sleep and you ( you as in urself) ..this ws easy to install in a 6 week aged child ...in 2 days my life ws easier ..she never fed at night ,i was no more a human pacifier and i never BF after bath which most parents do.nxt i tackled of putting her off to sleep on her own ...it ws a nice massage,sleep suit,a kiss,a cuddle,her blanky in her hand ...and thumb inside her mouth ..yes we encouraged that ..thats the way infants soothe themselves a binky will fall off then??its the thumb ....nxt came teh transition to her travel cot...i put her in ..and pop came the jack frm the box ...howling ...tracy hoggs method of pick-pat and put nd leave teh room ...ws practiced ..i counted i did this fr 15times teh 1st night ( she ws in our room fr a mnth )...2nd night 12 times ...3rd night around 5 times ...3rd night ..she slept well ..nxt week ws her nap time in her cot same room ...3rd week ...nap time in her room ...4th week bam on her b day as she turned 1 it ws her room the whole night ..now we are gearing up fr big girl bed with rails!!!

    ReplyDelete